Latest News / Events Next

The next Parish Council Meeting (Ordinary Meeting) will be held on 1st May 2024 @ 6.30pm in the Village Hall

 


 


 


Welcome to the Stanton Fitzwarren Parish Council Website in Wiltshire, England.

The website is run by Stanton Fitzwarren Parish Council for the benefit of villagers and anyone who has an interest in our village.

We have photos of Stanton Fitzwarren, village news, events, local services and information from the Parish Council.

We welcome your input to our site – please email any news, requests or information to Email
Stanton Fitzwarren is 2 miles SW of Highworth, 4 miles NE of Swindon. Grid Ref SU178902. Postcode SN6 7SE. Population 188 in 1831, 157 in 1951, the latest census (2011) shows the population was 226.

We hope you find our website useful and would welcome your comments and feedback on anything related to this site, its contents or Stanton Fitzwarren. 
Stanton Fitzwarren still clearly keeps to the layout of the medieval village that could so easily have been described at the end of the 14th Century as;

Staunton Fitz Waryn, “The farm by the stone” held by the Fitz Waryn family, of 50 tax payers, it is located to the south-west of Hegheworth (Highworth). It is a small linear shaped village with the manor and church at the top end of the street, the mill at the bottom end and the serfs cots between.

Stanton Fitzwarren today still lines the main street although roads lead into and out of the village, At the South end of the village is a hotel (the former manor house) and next to it is the Church of St. Leonard. This is a grade I listed building dating from the 13th & 14th Centuries. However it is the late 12th Century Norman font, possibly from an earlier church burnt down in the 13th century, that earns the church its grade I listing.
 Also of interest is much of the disused/dismantled Swindon to Highworth Light Railway is so apparent in todays Stanton Fitzwarren village:
The Swindon and Highworth Light Railway between Highworth Junction on the Great Western Main Line and Highworth was built through Stanton Fitzwarren in 1879-81 but the original company was unable to open the line and sold it to the Great Western Railway (GWR) in 1882.[6] In 1883 the GWR finally opened the line to traffic, with three intermediate stations including Stanton.[6]British Railways withdrew passenger services in 1953, apart from workmen's trains that it continued to run until 1962.[6] Most of the line, including the section through Stanton, was then dismantled.[6]


Stanton Fitzwarren also has Stanton Park in our "backgarden". A place for peace and tranqulity, for walkers and countryside enthusiasts!
Size:
18.83 ha (46.53 acres)

Grid reference:
SU175896

Show on Google Maps


Stanton Park is a 74 hectare estate which includes ancient remnants of broadleaved woodland, grassland and fishing lake. It is also a local nature reserve with many habitats for wildlife, 900 species of fungi and wild flower meadows. It is also the site of a Roman villa (no visible remains however). There is a large car park with toilet block on site.



Located in the churchyard is the village War Memorial. The cross was erected in 1916 and the names of those from the village who fell in the Great World War were added later. The cross is grade II listed.

Other listed buildings of interest in the village are the barn at North Farm, the Old Rectory, Mill Cottage (Listed as Stanton Mill) and the “Bamford’s Frost Protected lift pump” of 1902.

The listed buildings of the village clearly demonstrate the use of locally quarried coral ragstone with Highworth brick as the traditional building materials. Originally most of the buildings would have been thatched. Today thatch can still be found although Cotswold Stone and Welsh Slates predominate. Cotswold stone for walling purposes is not traditional to the area, being a totally different stone to the local Coral Ragstone.

New Heading Text

New Heading Text

New Heading Text

New Heading Text